Lyons Ferry State Park
Located at the confluence of the Snake River and Palouse River, Lyons Ferry was once was home to early groups of the Palouse Indians. The park offers a variety of activities, including boating, fishing, picknicking, hiking, bird watching and swimming. Most water activities are available, boating, fishing, swimming, kayaking, etc. The Lyons Ferry Marina is nearby for public use.
Washington State Parks
Lyons Ferry was named for the ferry crossing that operated across the Snake River from the mid-1860s until the late-1960s, when it was replaced by the Lyons Ferry Bridge, also known as the Snake River Bridge. The Corps began construction on Lyons Ferry Park in 1969 and originally leased it to the state in June 1971. It was named for the Lyons ferry boat that was operated by local resident Dan Lyons and used in the area for more than 100 years. The ferry was one of the few operated by river current and originally crossed the Snake River to connect to the Mullan Road, which was constructed in 1858. The ferry is berthed at the park
The Palouse River was first named Drewyers River by Lewis and Clark in honor of George Drouillard a civilian member of the expedition which arrived in this area on Oct. 13, 1805. Throughout the Lewis and Clark journals Drewyer, as his name was spelled by Lewis, was praised for his valuable services as a tracker, hunter, scout and interpreter. He became a boon companion to Lewis and was considered one of the two or three most valuable men on the expedition. Drauillard's French Canadian and Indian ancestors had rendered similar services to the French in the settlement of French Canada. Two years later Drouillard returned to the west with fur traders and in 1810 lost his life in a fight with Indians at Three Forks, Montana.