Located at the very south end in the city limits of Seattle, Lakeridge Park has been preserved as Open Space. The 35 acre park is a ravine with Taylor Creek dropping down to Lake Washington. Taylor Creek was the site of a logging mill where the creek met Lake Washington, but it closed in 1916. Taylor Creek is the fourth largest creek in Seattle. The half-mile Deadhorse Canyon Trail that meanders through the park was built in 1996 and crosses the creek twice. Deadhorse Canyon has hosted at least one pair of nesting Bald Eagles. Other birds sighted in the park include pileated wood-peckers, red-tailed hawks, and osprey. The canyons name possibly comes from a homesteader Chas J. Walker in 1909 when a local and popular horse died in the canyon. Today the canyon is helped by the Friends of Deadhorse Canyon who remove invasive plants and plant native ones during neighborhood work parties. They also hope to get salmon back to the stream.
WillhiteWeb.com - Puget Sound Parks
From Interstate 5, take Exit 161, Swift/Albro. Head east and take Swift Avenue South to South Myrtle. Myrtle will turn into Othello Street. Follow this for just less than a mile to Rainier Avenue South. Turn right on Rainier. Continue south on Rainier about 2.5 miles to 68th Avenue South. Turn right on 68th and follow it about a half mile to the trailhead where there is room for several vehicles.