Saint Edward State Park
Saint Edwards State Park is a day-use park with sprawling lawns and forested trails, all set around impressive, Romanesque Revival style brick buildings of a former Catholic Seminary. Situated in Kenmore, the park is a quiet haven in the midst of the urban bustle. At Saint Edwards, you’ll find many picnic areas, well-groomed trails through the woods down to the shores of Lake Washington, gardens, a huge kids play park, a softball field and even a historic grotto. Saint Edwards State Park is the largest remaining undeveloped area on Lake Washington. There is 3,000 feet of shoreline and many species of birds, animals, plants. Recreation activities include fishing, mountain biking, hiking and running. Trails have been designated for foot or bike. The park also has meeting rooms for rent and outdoor fields for soccer, baseball and volleyball.
WillhiteWeb.com - Puget Sound Hiking
In the late 1920’s, Bishop O’Dea of the Seattle Catholic Diocese purchased the property with his own personal inheritance and donated it to the diocese for use as a seminary by the Sulpician Order, an educational order of priests. The seminary was named for Edward the Confessor, founder of Westminster Abbey and king of the West Saxons of England in the 11th Century. On Oct. 13, 1930, on the feast of Saint Edward, the cornerstone of the seminary was laid. Construction began March 1931 and was completed by September that year. The seminary was operated as a boy’s school and seminary. Then in fall of 1977, because of declining enrollment and changes in the education of seminarians, the Seattle Diocese sold 316 acres, including the seminary building, to the state of Washington for use as a park. In June 1978, the grounds of Saint Edward State Park were opened to the public. In September 1997, the former seminary building was placed on the Washington State Heritage Register, and in 2007, it was placed on the National Historic Register.
From the south on 405, take exit 20A at N.E. 116th Street and turn west under the freeway. Travel 4.5 miles toward Kenmore (at 98th Avenue Northeast, 116th Avenue becomes Juanita Drive Northeast). The park entrance is on the left just past 143rd Avenue.
From the north on Hwy. 405, take exit 23D, Highway 522 to Bothell. Travel south on 522 through Bothell to Kenmore. Turn left on 68th Avenue. Continue south for 1.5 miles (68th becomes Juanita Drive at Simonds Road). The park entrance is on the right.
From I-5, take exit 175, 145th St. Travel east to Bothell Way. Turn left on Bothell Way and drive three miles. Turn right on 68th Avenue. Follow directions above.
Trail on the shore of Lake Washington
One of many picnic areas
Large open fields
Main trail down to the water
Picnic area and the Gymnasium