In this cemetery are the graves of a number of members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, who were prominent in this section in the early days of Missouri. They included Oliver cowdery, for a time a close friend and associate of Joseph Smith, founder through revelation of the church. The large Granite monument was dedicated November 22, 1911. More than two hundred people from Salt Lake City headquarters of the church were present.
By agreement with the city of Richmond, after the cemetery had been abandoned for about seventy years the church landscaped the area in 1949-50. Brush and rubbish were removed, headstones were restored where possible. New shrubbery, hardwood and evergreen trees were planted and the entire area sown to grass.
Richmond Pioneer Cemetery
New cemetery on other side of town
Three Witnesses Monument
Oliver Cowdery, Martin Harris, and David Whitmer were appointed to be three special witnesses of the Book of Mormon in June 1829. Every copy of the Book of Mormon includes the testimony of their experience in which the angel Moroni appeared and showed them the plates from which the Book of Mormon was translated. Their testimony is as follows:
Be it known unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, unto whom this work shall come: That we, through the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, have seen the plates which contain this record, which is a record of the people of Nephi, and also of the Lamanites, their brethren, and also of the people of Jared, who came from the tower of which hath been spoken. And we also know that they have been translated by the gift and power of God, for his voice hath declared it unto us; wherefore we know of a surety that the work is true. And we also testify that we have seen the engravings which are upon the plates; and they have been shown unto us by the power of God, and not of man. And we declare with words of soberness, that an angel of God came down from heaven, and he brought and laid before our eyes, that we beheld and saw the plates, and the engravings thereon; and we know that it is by the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, that we beheld and bear record that these things are true. And it is marvelous in our eyes. Nevertheless, the voice of the Lord commanded us that we should bear record of it; wherefore, to be obedient unto the commandments of God, we bear testimony of these things. And we know that if we are faithful in Christ, we shall rid our garments of the blood of all men, and be found spotless before the judgment-seat of Christ, and shall dwell with him eternally in the heavens. And the honor be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost, which is one God. Amen.
A metal casket within a concrete base was placed under the monument which contained copies of the History of the Church, Volume 1, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine & Covenants, the Pearl of Great Price, the Cowdery Family Geneology, the Contributor, Volume 5 containing George Reynolds' "History of the Book of Mormon," and engraved portraits of Oliver Cowdery, Martin Harris, & David Whitmer.
Richmond Courthouse and Alexander Doniphan statue