The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized in the Peter Whitmer home at Fayette, New York, on April 6, 1830, at the Lord's command. Joseph Smith had come to stay at the Whitmer home in June 1829 to escape persecution in Pennsylvania. Within a month of his arrival, the Prophet completed the Book of Mormon translation, the angel Moroni showed the golden plates to the Three Witnesses, and the Lord revealed procedures for establishing His Church.
On April 6, about 60 friends and family members crowded into the 20-by-30-foot home to witness the organization of what was then called the Church of Christ. Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery were sustained as the first and second elders in the Church. On that occasion, they offered prayers, blessed and passed the sacrament, and received divine revelation. Following the service, several in attendance were baptized, including the Prophet's parents.
Joseph received many revelations while living at the Whitmer home. The first three conferences of the Church were held here, and missionaries were sent from this place to the western frontier of the United States, baptizing many people in Ohio and some in Missouri.
In 1831, the Whitmers moved to Ohio. The Church purchased 100 acres of the Whitmer farm in 1926. The Whitmer home was rebuilt on its original site and dedicated in 1980 by President Spencer W. Kimball.
Peter Whitmer Farm